For 9/11 conspiricists, it’s been a profitable six years

September 11, 2007 by

Six years ago, an industry arose when the Twin Towers fell. In less time than it took George W. Bush to react, conspiracy theorists had the attacks of 9/11 all figured out.

And that means the rest of us have had to listen to six years of conspiricists screaming at the world to “open your eyes!”

But while Alex Jones and his ilk spread their own flavor of fear to the masses, plenty of others have done the work necessary to make 9/11 conspiracies look like the flimsy nonsense that they are at their heart.

A perfect place to start is at Popular Mechanics, where they recently updated their debunking of all things 9/11 conspiracy. The Journal of Debunking 9/11 Conspiracy Theories also appears to have plenty of info for those looking to educate themselves on the lies and half-truths spread by “9/11 Truthers.” In fact, a quick Google search shows that there are more than a million sites out there dedicated to debunking the conspiracy nonsense.

More than anything, the conspiricists occupied with 9/11 are an extremely trite bunch. Their fusion of rumors, lies, winks and nods are used in the exact same way as those that believe in Intelligent Design. Or that space aliens exist in New Mexico. Or that HIV is a lie. All use the exact same techniques, and all eventually collapse under the sheer weight of their own ridiculousness. At their very heart, conspiracy theories like the ones for 9/11 are little more than logical fallacy parades.

Not that this will change the mind of a true believer, mind you. Because for them, if you don’t believe, you are part of the conspiracy. And, as most of you are very well aware, any time you confront conspiricists with real facts, they just keep throwing the same questions and arguments at you, over and over and over again, in some strange belief that truth can be overcome by persistence or pure force of will.

We will be hearing these 9/11 conspiracies for eons and eons to come. But that won’t make them any more true. It will just make a few more money, while making many others more paranoid.

Don’t believe the conspiracies.

Comments

15 Responses to “For 9/11 conspiricists, it’s been a profitable six years”

1. Maadas Hel on September 13th, 2007 1:20 pm

WKW,

You’re bright. You tend to think things through before you type. You’ve got cool facial hair. You write well. You generally are of a like mind with many of my strongly held beliefs.

I like those things about you.

You just wrote a whining little piece of smarter-than-thou tripe, debasing anyone with real questions about all the things surrounding WTC and 9-11 that don’t make sense. You generalized anyone lacking a strict adherence to your commonly accepted version of the events as a group of inconsequential nut cases. You’ve put your whimsical eggs in the basket of a popular magazine. You’ve lumped in real, thinking people who possess concerns about things that, if true, are damned important, with jokes about aliens and the ridiculous “HIV as myth” folks.

I don’t like these things about you.

My $.02
    Maadas Hel | Homepage | 09.11.07 – 5:51 pm | #

2. Maadas Hel on September 13th, 2007 1:21 pm

“Building 7 is not the only other building to have come down as a result of the two Towers collapsing. IIRC, 3-5 other buildings had to be demolished, or are in the process of being demolished, due to compromised structural integrity.
    christine | 09.11.07 – 3:09 pm | # ”

Yeah, but they didn’t come down in less than 6 seconds, did they?

The more I read WKW’s post here, the angrier I get. I wish he was doing one of his Onionesque send ups, but sadly, there’s a lot of otherwise pretty cool thinkers out there who like to look down at folks with questions as “nuts” because it makes them uncomfortable.

Sorry, I got a bug in my ass.
    Maadas Hel | Homepage | 09.13.07 – 4:24 pm | #

3. Maadas Hel on September 13th, 2007 1:22 pm

Okay, now I’m caught up. I figured I’d post these here instead of Shaker land, as no body was still looking at that thread and these comments were pretty much for you anyways.

BTW, I’m not crazy – just pissed.

Peace – M.H.

4. dgun on September 13th, 2007 5:14 pm

“You just wrote a whining little piece of smarter-than-thou tripe”

In other words, the Government knows stuff they’re not telling us. And those things they know that they’re not telling us is stuff. Oh my, the stuff they know that they’re not telling us.

Why did Jewish people not go to work on 9/11? What about the lack of airplane rubble on the pentagon lawn? Why does steel melt at such a cool temperature in the WTC? What about all the extra explosions heard at the site? Why did the BBC reporter report that WTC 7 went down when it was still up?

Well, we have heard all this stuff over and over and over and over and over. And some of us having even taken the time to explain how these conspiracy theories are in error. And what good does it do? None. Because no matter how many times you debunk all this mess, conspiracy folks come back with more garbage.

After a while, you come to one conclusion, that 9/11 conspiracy folks should be ridiculed and made fun of and ignored. They deserve it for absolutely refusing to use common sense and objectively reviewing why it is they believe what they believe.

In 1972/73(?) there was a break in at the Watergate hotel, then the national HQ’s of the Democratic Party. The conspiracy to break in was known by a small handful of individuals. One lone security guard called the police on the burglars. Yet, as powerful, manipulative, and some would say evil as Richard Nixon was, he was unable to shut down an investigation started by the DC police nor keep the few people involved quiet. People talked and Nixon was forced to resign.

A conspiracy the size of what conspiracy advocates would have you believe is not even possible. And I suppose that in 6 years, not a single decent human being (working for any of the various government agencies that would have to be involved or any of the numerous media outlets that would have gone along with this) has found the courage to come forth?

5. William K. Wolfrum » Blog Archive » O.J. Simpson is on the White House payroll on September 14th, 2007 9:36 am

[...] While I stand firm in my belief that conspiracy theory believers are barking (incessantly in many cases) up the wrong tree, I do admit to understanding the attractiveness of many conspiracy theories. And it’s not like I’m totally immune to them. [...]

6. whig on September 14th, 2007 9:19 pm

7. dgun on September 14th, 2007 9:28 pm

* dgun writes: “Why did Jewish people not go to work on 9/11?” and discredits himself instantly. *

whig reads the first couple of sentences of my post and makes an asinine comment (kind of like at politicsforum.org :)), ironically discrediting his ability at discrediting others.

There is plenty in my posts to discredit me with whig. Please make a better effort next time.

8. Guinnevere on September 15th, 2007 5:11 am

Well, everyone makes mistakes, and WKW has made one here. If you don’t buy into the 9/11 conspiracy theories, that’s your prerogative. But I’ve looked into it, and the evidence is pretty damning of its having been a controlled demolition. A lot of it is circumstantial, mind you, but people have been convicted and executed on less compelling evidence. And GWB has refused to grant them clemency. He and the rest of his New World Order pals deserve at least to be tried for all those deaths, as well as for their eager traipsing into war with Iraq on the flimsiest of connections to the disaster at the WTC.

9. dgun on September 15th, 2007 10:04 pm

“the evidence is pretty damning”

“A lot of it is circumstantial”

*cough*

*hickup*

*cough*

10. Steve on September 16th, 2007 5:54 am

I find it curious that complete layman on demolition can be so convinced that it was a controlled one, and we are supposed to believe that over the professionals over the world who all disagree. Basically the conspiracists want us to believe that, either

a) they have more expertise in building demolition than all the professionals, or that

b) all the professionals are in the conspiracy.

If a conspiracy theorists, who has no experience whatsoever on building demolition tells me that it was a controlled demolition, and a big group of professionals in the field tell me that it wasn’t, who should I believe?

11. Ted Sky on October 18th, 2007 6:37 pm

I too laughed. Then I read. Then I thought. Then by chance I shared a cab with a pilot from Continental airlines from La

Not nuts. Not kooks. Engineers and Architects.

Read the list of “kooks” on that site.

12. Ted Sky on October 18th, 2007 6:43 pm

I too laughed. Then I read. Then I thought. Then by, chance I shared a cab with a pilot from Continental Airlines from LaGaurdia to Newark, who passionately explained to me how MOST pilots know the offical story is B.S. That jet fuel cannot melt steel. That there was no way an amatuer pilot could perform the moves to hit the Pentagon. And on and on.

Read the list of “kooks” on that site.

Not nuts. Not kooks. Engineers and Architects.

The reason it worked, is because it is so unbelievable.

13. Yo mamma on May 4th, 2008 12:49 am

We’re not talking opinions here…There is FACTUAL information that proves way beyond a reasonable doubt that the Sept. 11 attacks were caused by explosives…which had to be planted BEFORE Sept. 11th!

Just something naysayers might like to know:

Vladimir Lenin (Bolshevic Revolution of 1917, Soviet Russia) coined the term “Political Correctness” in order to discredit his detractors during the build up to the supposed “revolution of the people” (It was not a revolution of the people, it was funded through wall street in the United States…re: Antony Sutton…Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution…buy the book and read it)

The same thing was foisted on us concerning “Conspiracy theorist” in the United States. Mayhap the CIA invented this phrase/term in order to discredit anyone who knew the truth about whatever conspiracy was/is going on at the time? It’s just another way to attack the opposition by name calling and using unsubstantiated governmental “facts” spewed forth by governmental “experts.”

“Unless you are the intellectual caliber and our as educacted as these people in the fields that are relevant to this discussion, you should put aside your opinions about 911 Truthers, and look again.”

As to the quote above, and I consider myself on the side of “911 Truthers”:

Well, I’m not exactly ‘educacted” as well as those “experts” in the 911 truth movement, but because they hold a piece of paper from a college, that doesn’t mean jack crack! Titles and and papers are simply handed down by other elitist men and women, which basically state that so-and-so and such-and-such have jumped through all of THEIR fiery hoops.

Any degree, whether it be from Harvard or the junior college down the street should only be thought of as “general knowledge” in said field. I’ve spoken to homeless “bums” in sparsely wooded public parks that knew more than all the experts I ever met put together! I’m just saying, there is no such thing as “Expert authority” no matter what one might say.

Common sense and factual evidence should be the yardstick with which we measure the truth. Common sense is the beginning of Theory and suspicion. Theories are a good thing as they often led us to some sort of truth or fact we didn’t know of before. The phrase that we should stamp into the public conscientiousness is not “conspiracy theory” but “Conspiracy Fact”!!!

14. William K. Wolfrum Chronicles » Blog Archive » Throwing red meat at Conspiracy Theorists - Newspapers vs. digital media edition on January 9th, 2009 11:53 pm

[...] While I’m no fan of Alex Jones and his ilk, I do like the fact that he’s able to speak freely and easily via the Internet. So to throw some red meat at the Conspiracists out there, and possibly give Jones another angle to profit from, this theory just struck me: [...]

15. William K. Wolfrum Chronicles » Blog Archive » CPAC unveils fresh new idea - Mitt Romney for President on March 2nd, 2009 4:59 am

[...] At this stage of the game, the only real difference between Conservatives and 9/11 Conspiracists is that Conservatives don’t believe the government is capable of blowing itself up. Aside from that, both groups have settled nicely into a world where reality is optional. WASHINGTON (CNN) — Conservative activists on Saturday named former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney the winner of a poll for best 2012 GOP presidential candidate. The poll marked the third consecutive year Romney came out on top. [...]