Ben & Jerry’s the final piece of the CyClone Dairy hoax?

March 30, 2009 by

Ben & Jerry's cloning cyclone dairy

Ok, while I know I promised I was done with this subject, I just received a comment that seemed to make one final connection in the case of the pretend “CyClone Dairy,” a non-existant dairy that says it produces its milk from cloned cows.

“There is a certain large socially conscious company involved that will make sense once it comes out,” said Joe Blow.

This sent my mind directly to one company – Ben & Jerry’s.

Earlier I had pointed out that a design company called Vermont Design Works had been involved on the project. So a small part of this is the fact that Ben & Jerry’s is in Vermont.

Another part is that Ben & Jerry’s is strongly opposed to cloning animals.

The final part is this: Ben & Jerry’s works with Food & Water Watch … on cloning issues.

Ben & Jerry's FWW

I have a call into Ben & Jerry’s but don’t really expect a response. And it doesn’t change my final conclusion about the CyClone Dairy PR campaign, it just means that I’ve come to believe that Ben & Jerry’s is the main cog in its engine. I still believe it’s an amateurish campaign. I still believe it will all unfold Wednesday, and I still believe that Food & Water Watch is involved.

But don’t be surprised if you see that Ben & Jerry’s is involved, as well.

Ben & jERRY'S CYCLONE

Update: Oh, and I forgot to mention this: The first comment on the first post ever about Cyclone Dairy:

Posted by Ben & Jerry at 2009-03-24 15:16

It is satire.

Update: Well how about that.

Comments

8 Responses to “Ben & Jerry’s the final piece of the CyClone Dairy hoax?”

1. Sly Winsome on March 31st, 2009 12:15 am

Ben and Jerry’s? Hardly. Ben and Jerry’s is wholly owned by Unilever. Not exactly the activist types they used to be.

2. El Dragon on March 31st, 2009 4:22 am

And then there’s the top comment of SofiaB’s Post at FWW:

One wonders if FWW got suckered too. But as you said, they weighed in awfully early. Perhaps they got “tipped off” by B&J’s….?

(BTW. A sock puppet showed up over at my site, trying to start an argument about cloning after we posted about Cyclone Diary.)

3. El Dragon on March 31st, 2009 4:26 am

Oh! You already knew about Melissa. :) Thanks for the nod! And thanks for your detective work, William. Great job.

4. William K. Wolfrum on March 31st, 2009 4:47 am

Great job, yourself. From my perspective your analysis was spot-on.

5. msw on March 31st, 2009 10:55 am

By far my favorite part of the website is in the FAQ

Q: Are there any ethical issues about cloning?
    A: No.

6. Jean on April 1st, 2009 1:59 pm

Didn’t Ben & Jerry’s get bought up by some big corp. several years ago?

7. William K. Wolfrum on April 1st, 2009 2:21 pm

They were bought by Unilever but are autonomous from what I see.

8. Ben and Jerry are cloned cows « A Politics of Nature on April 1st, 2009 8:46 pm

[...] 2, 2009 Ben and Jerry are cloned cows Posted by jamonhalvaksz under Uncategorized | Tags: cloning, GMO |   As revealed elsewhere,┬áBen and Jerry admit to being behind the Cyclone Dairy… an April fools joke, but not as well played as it could have been.   [...]